Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Peace in the midst of chaos


"You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trust in You. Trust in the LORD forever, for in YAH, the LORD, is everlasting strength." Isaiah 26:3&4


I was so excited. The water filling my washing machine was finally flowing freely. Something had been blocking the cold water line for some time, but today it was filling without a problem. Gleefully I put in a full load and walked away, rejoicing that with this load, I had managed to finish the last of my laundry for the week.

I then went to get something to eat for my husband who is recovering from a nasty fall. He's been home from the hospital for less than a week. The vertebrae in his neck have been fused and, by God's grace, he was not killed or paralyzed. He isn't going to be able to be as active as he's been in the past for awhile though. The lift chair (a gift from a friend) has become the place where he will spend a great deal of time until his neck heals and he regains his strength.  We have a long road ahead of us, but we are adjusting to our new normal.

As I headed into the kitchen, the news on the TV droned on the about all that's going on with the Corona virus pandemic.  I adjusted my attitude as the news anchors discussed the quarantines that are being lifted in some states and not in others, and all the other less than cheerful bits of information. Closing the refrigerator door, I noticed water on the floor.  At first I thought maybe something had spilled.

When I looked closer I realized it was flowing freely from the laundry room, and rapidly headed towards the dining room.

My washing machine was filling to overflowing.

Rushing over to it I pushed the button to make it stop, but nothing happened. I then lifted the lid in hopes of making the water stop, but to no avail. My canvas tennis shoes soaked because of the amount of water on the floor, I finally managed to get the water turned off behind the washer.  All the while water is heading towards the dining room and the laminate floor. Quickly dashing to the bathroom, without slipping and breaking MY neck, I grabbed towels and blocked the flow of water from reaching the dining room.  I then got the squeegee and began pushing water out the back door.  Dale apologized for not being able to do more to help, and called our landlord, who is also our pastor and friend, and lives a half mile down the dirt road from us. He quickly arrived to help, and said he would secure us a new washing machine as quickly as possible.

As he was leaving, he asked if we'd gotten notice from PG&E (our power company). When I said no, he made a face that was a mixture between apologetic and pained. The power will be shut off tomorrow for several hours so the power company can make repairs to their lines.

And then I laughed.

Seriously.  I laughed, and I am laughing now as I am typing this.

Not that any of this is funny, but there is a certain ridiculousness about all of it, that makes me laugh.

It's like the enemy of our souls is doing everything he can to throw discouragement in our pathway, but he's failing...and that makes me laugh with joy.

Have I faced moments of discouragement and fear? Absolutely!  It's been a rather difficult year on many levels.  This is just another jagged place that we'll get through.

But the thing that is most amazing to me in this, is how these last two things (the washer and water and no power tomorrow) have simply made me laugh, rather than cry.  There is something enormously comforting knowing that NONE of this happens without God's knowledge or permission.  It's almost like He and I are sharing the most intimate joke about how futile it is for the enemy to keep trying to steal my joy.

You see, my joy is not based on circumstances.  If it were, my life would have been turned upside down years ago.

My joy is based solely on the hope I have in Jesus Christ.

He has promised He will never leave or forsake me and I believe Him.  I don't always understand why things are happening, but I know that there is a purpose and a plan in everything God does.
He never says "Oops!"

As I told Steve (our pastor/landlord) as he was leaving the house, I always look for the picture behind the window. I know there is more here than what we see.


God is still at work. He's in control. Good can come out of even the most frustrating or troubling circumstances. My kitchen floor is SUPER clean now. (lots of water can make that happen).  My heart is cheerful (always a good thing).

And I had something to share with others about how awesome God is, which is always the best thing.

May your troubles be light, and at the very least, may they leave you light hearted and cheerful.
Have confidence in God's plan. You too can have peace in the midst of chaos.





No comments:

Post a Comment