Thursday, May 21, 2020

Don't back down when facing giants


"No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgement You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is from Me," says the LORD." Isaiah 54:17

Have you ever read chapter seventeen of 1 Samuel?  If you haven't I strongly recommend that you do so.  It is the amazing account of the shepherd boy David going up against the giant Goliath. An entire army of soldiers were terrified of Goliath, but David, a youth, was not, because he knew where he got his courage and strength.  In verses 34-36 he tells King Saul "Your servant used to keep his father's sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock, I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it. Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God." And in verse 37 he explains why he has the courage he does: "The LORD, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of the Philistine."

You see, David knew it was the LORD who protected and did battle for him. Further on in the chapter after King Saul had tried to clothe David in the armor of his soldiers, David quickly realized they were not useful to him, and took them off. (verses 38 and 39) He then prepared himself with the tools he had used when guarding his father's sheep; his staff, five smooth stones form the brook, and his sling. (vs 40)  But most importantly as he went and stood before Goliath, who "disdained him, for he was only  youth." (vs 43) David stood firm and told the giant why he would have victory over him. "You come to me with a sword, a spear, and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. Then all this assembly shall know that the LORD does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the LORD's and He will give you into our hands." (verses 45-47 italics added for emphasis)

As I write this, my husband who is still recovering from a nasty fall, is watching Fox news and the reports of historic flooding in Michigan and other problems that are currently plaguing our nation, and the world. It seems that every day some new crisis arises. At the same time I am listening to "See a Victory by Elevation Worship https://youtu.be/jEK6_rz26z0. Now I don't know all the spiritual state of being of those who report the news, or the singers in this group. God alone does. But what I do know is the news on the television can be upsetting, but this song helps me not to be overcome by the ginormous amount of bad news. It empower me to the battle of life we are currently engaged in.  The lyrics remind me that the battle belongs to the LORD and that there is power in the mighty name of Jesus. Quite honestly, I need every implement of courage in my hand that I am able to hold.  For David it was five smooth stones, his staff and his sling.  For me, it is a daily saturation of God's word as I study, praise songs that help me keep my focus fixed on the LORD's face, and prayer, oh so much prayer.

We're living in a pretty crazy time right now. But we're not the first set of believers to do so.  Every generation faces giants.  The question is, are we going to back down and run or stand firm?

I choose to stand firm.  Feet firmly planted in the hope, the knowledge, the peace and confidence, that God is in control and I can trust Him.

I pray you will find the same strength.

May God receive all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment