Thursday, April 23, 2020

What do I do with my crown?

"I will go to the king which is against the law, and if I perish, I perish." Esther 4:16

Are you familiar with the story of Esther? If not I encourage you to take time to read the book in the Bible named after her. She is definitely a heroine worthy of remembrance. The line quoted above is when she had been advised of an evil plot, and after asking for prayer coverage, she was heading to speak with the king without being summoned by him. It was a noble and courageous act as it could mean her death to approach him without having been invited into his counsel.

I was thinking about it this morning while considering current events. Sometimes it is necessary to be bold and courageous in the face of situations that are unjust, but in taking a stand there is the grand possibility of becoming a target.  It is good to be wise when speaking up, because "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." (Proverbs 15:1), and "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." (Proverbs 25:11) I am very confident that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) but knowing when to be silent and when to speak, (Ecclesiastes 3:7) can be challenging.

Therein lies my dilemma.

You see, I am fiercely protective of those I love and have to keep a tight rein on that fierceness.  I know God is working all things together for our good and His glory. He is trustworthy and has a perfect plan for each one of our lives. I also know He has reminded us repeatedly throughout Scripture to "fear not".  Two of my favorite verses address fear."Fear not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41;10) and "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear," (1 John 4:18)

So what does all this have to do with what to do with my crown?

A lot.  As a princess warrior I know my first responsibility is to my King, the Lord Jesus Christ. I am called to serve in a right manner that brings glory and honor to Him.  As I was wrestling with the frustration over how much fear is being generated by the media over this whole Corona Virus/Covid19 issue, the fierceness to protect began to rise. Knowing how easily that fierceness can be misused I immediately began girding myself with the full armor of God (for greater detail about our battle and tools see Ephesians 6:10-18). While doing so, the question arose in my mind. What do I do with my crown? And in the same moment I asked, it was answered. I am to lay it at His feet.

I serve Him with devotion and joy, and gladly surrender my total will to His command. I am His child.

I quake only slightly as I fasten on the garment necessary to do battle against the foe, the dragon of fear, that threatens those I love.  Strapping on the breastplate of righteousness, I feel the energy of God's courage begin to course through my being. I wrap the girdle of truth around my waist, and doubt flees. I put my feet firmly into the gospel of peace, knowing God's holy word is my foundation. I pick up the sword of the Spirit, confident He will do battle for me, and as I place my crown at my Savior's feet, I can now put on the helmet of my salvation. There is nothing I need to fear because God is always with me.  Breathing a deep sigh of confidence, I pick up the shield of faith and take my stand. The victory is mine for the battle belongs to the Lord (1 Samuel 17:47) I lift my eyes to Him and wait for His command. It is only His will I desire to do.

I will praise Him because He alone is worthy of praise. No matter what may come, I choose to keep my eyes on Him, and follow Him wherever He leads. I am fearless in His perfect love.

To Him be the glory now and forever.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment