Monday, March 23, 2020

Inescapable truth


"Behold, I tell you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed-in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (Isaiah 25:8) "O Death, where is your sting? (hos. 13:14) O Hades, where is your victory."
The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (bold added for emphasis) Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
1 Corinthians 15:51-58

As of this writing we are one week into a state wide shelter in place. Many things have transpired in the past seven days, but the most evident is the fear that is beginning to rise in the nation as other states respond to the coronavirus. Watching the news last night as another city faced the effects of the shelter in place, my heart broke for a woman who was obviously consumed by fear. And as I was typing just now, I received a text from a friend asking for prayer for someone who had suffered a heart attack because of stress.

We may be experiencing a pandemic, but the greater problem is the fear that is gripping so many.

I admit, I have had to do daily battle against the enemy of fear. My choice weapon is praising God for the knowledge that nothing comes to us that hasn't been filtered through His hand or without His knowledge and permission (see the first chapter of Job). I bathe my mind with Scriptures that reassure me of God's Presence and peace. One of my favorite right in the middle of 1 John 4:18 now  "Perfect love casts out fear."   There is no more perfect love than the love of Elohim, our Creator, who provided us the ability to have an intimate relationship with Him through His Son, and the Savior of all who will accept the gift of grace, Jesus Christ. It is the knowledge of His great love for us, for me, that keeps drawing my eyes towards Him and away from the stormy sea of doubt and fear. (check out who is the Master over the storm in Mark 4:35-41)

Having said that, I will now return to the purpose behind why I decided to write today.

Here is an inescapable truth. Unless the Lord Raptures us (and it could happen in our lifetime) we're all going to die. Our physical existence on this plane (earth) will come to an end.

Our life as we know it on earth will end, but our souls will continue on into eternity. The question is, where will you spend eternity?

I have assurance because of my relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:6) It is a confidence that no storm will be able to shake. I don't fear dying, because I know God has prepared a place for me and I will rest in peace when that day comes.

Now dying is a whole different scenario.

I get it why people are scared. The passage between life and death is unknown. Suffering is often a part of the process for many...and none of us like to suffer.

I would love to go as one of my great-grandmother's did.  The story goes that the family was gathered around the dining table eating, and she looked around and told each of them that she loved them, laid her head down on the table and was gone.

That's pretty awesome.
 
Now I don't remember the exact circumstances of my other grandparents deaths, but I do know they faced it bravely, confident we would see one another again. One of the songs my grandfather Van Winkle picked to be sung at his funeral was God be with you 'til we meet again.  I still tear up a bit when singing it. I miss him.

Daddy had been ill for awhile when his heart simply stopped. Not a heart attack. It just quit beating.The doctor said he had never seen anything like it.
Mom was hospitalized with pneumonia, but passed quietly with her children around her. She was so ready to join her husband of over 50 years.

The bottom line...I don't want to enter heaven screaming as I try to hold on to this life.

I don't know when or how I will die, but I do know I will leave this world and enter the arms ofJesus. When I think of the glory and the beauty of that, nothing scares me.

All this to say, if you're afraid of death you might need to examine why.

"For the wage of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life with Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

Do you know Jesus personally?

If not, today would be a good day to invest in getting to know Him. Check out the book of 1 John for starters, especially verse 9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Remember the wage of sin is death, (see above) and "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 
Yet there is good news and hope: "But God demonstrates HIs own love toward us, in while we were still sinners Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

The offer is open to any who are willing to receive: "Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give your rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." ~Jesus as recorded in Matthew 11:28-30

Are you tired, stressed out, fearful?

Take your eyes off the storm and fix them on the Savior. Open up your heart and your hand and invite Him in. Allow Him to lead you through the temporary place of this earthly life and into the joyous celebration of eternal life with Him.

I am praying for you.
                                                              ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
For those of you who know Jesus as Savior, the time is now to be bold in sharing the joy you have in your relationship with Him. Tell your story loud and clear. Help others to know Him too. May God richly bless each of you. To Him be the glory for now and evermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment