Wednesday, March 18, 2020

In times like these...


"Seven times a day I praise You, because of Your righteous judgements. Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing can make them stumble." Psalm 119:164&165 NKJV

So much is going on in our world right now.  As I write we are on recommended social isolation in an attempt to stem the spread of the coronavirus. People are responding in vastly different ways. Some with fear and paranoia, others with a cavalier attitude that they are somehow invincible. Some are responding in deep faith, while others are alarmed and uncertain. Some are adjusting well to the isolation, while others are beginning to feel stir crazy.

Every person reacts to situations differently.

Where do we find peace in the midst of chaos?

I love the sentiment of the Psalmist in verse 165 of Psalm 119. "Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing can make them stumble." It is what I strive towards. To have great peace, no matter what is going on around me is not only admirable, but desired. Reality is, there are times I struggle to retain the peace that's been so freely supplied. My humanity gets in the way and I get distracted from what is really important. Add in a sense of loss of control over circumstances, and before you know it, I've wandered off the well established path towards peace into the brambles of fear and discontent.

How does one maintain a peaceful spirit?

The Psalmist explains in verse 164; "Seven times a day I praise You, because of Your righteous judgements". It begins with making a habit of praise and continues as I recall God's faithfulness and His righteousness. When I keep my focus fixed on Him, peace remains.

It is a story that is repeated throughout the Scriptures.

One of my other favorite accounts of the importance of a right focus is told in Matthew 14:13-32.
Jesus had just miraculously fed a crowd of 5000 with five loaves of bread and two fish, and then made His disciples get into the boat to go before Him to the other side of the sea. He went to the mountain by Himself to pray.  When the disciples were about halfway across the water, the wind was contrary and the sea was tossing their boat.  I imagine it wasn't a particularly safe feeling. And then when the disciples were feeling the strain from the storm, suddenly they spotted Jesus walking towards them on the sea. To quote from verse 26 "And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were  troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!' And they cried out for fear." (emphasis added)

I think I might have been a bit frightened as well.

Ah, but then "immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid." (vs 27 emphasis added)

And then Peter, being Peter, brash, forthright, self-assured, a "take command sort of guy" addressed the situation by saying "If it is You, command me to come to You on the water."  (verse 28 emphasis added).

I kind of like that.  OK LORD, if this is You, tell me to do something that would otherwise be impossible.

"So He said, "Come."  (verse 29a)

Peter got His answer, and came down out of the boat and began walking on water towards Jesus.

Wow! Can you imagine?  He asked for something, was granted what he asked, and was then beginning to do what he desired.

But then; "when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink cried out, saying. 'Lord, save me!" (verse 28 emphasis added)

I don't know about you, but there's a part of me that is momentarily disappointed by Peter's falter, that is until I see my own faith falter. 

Yet the best of the account is still ahead.  Peter had reached out in faith, taken steps towards Jesus, got distracted by the circumstances, began to sink, and cried out for rescue.

"And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught Him, and said to Him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. (verses 31&32 emphasis added).

Such a beautiful reminder of our Lord's faithfulness and love. He continued to demonstrate His power over the elements of the world, not only by walking on water Himself, but empowering Peter to do the same. When fear momentarily distracted Peter, Jesus didn't leave Him to drown, but immediately rescued him when He cried out for help.

Peter was doing great as long as he kept his eyes on the Lord.

There's a theme here. "Seven times a day I praise You, because of Your righteous judgements. Great peace have those who love Your law and nothing can make them stumble." "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid."  (Psalm 1119:164&165, Matthew 14:28)

I am not a Bible scholar, but I do see a correlation between our focus in praising God, and being able to trust Him no matter what. I don't know about you, but I quickly "sink" in the sea of doubt whenever I allow circumstances in life to distract me from the glories of God's amazing grace and the love which He lavishly provides for all who are willing to receive it. When I cry out for rescue and refocus my attention on the face of the One Who loves me best, immediately He saves me and great peace washes over my soul.

These are crazy times we're experiencing right now and it's easy to get distracted by them. I encourage all to put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:14-18), to "...warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast to what is good. Abstain from every form of evil." 1 Thessalonians 5:14-22

Above all, keep your eyes on Jesus.
He is the only One who can save us.

To Him be the glory and honor now and forevermore.




No comments:

Post a Comment