Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Living joyfully in an angry world

"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments you will abide in my love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full."
~Jesus speaking in John 15:7-11

Have you noticed how angry people seem to be in this world lately?

Everywhere you look someone has gone off on an angry rant or hate filled behavior, leaving very few "safe spaces".  I am appalled at what I see, but even worse, how it negatively affects my life. Jesus told us that in this world we will have tribulation. But He also said we can have peace in Him, because He has overcome the world. "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

To which I reply a hearty Hallelujah!!

Without the saving grace of Jesus Christ I would be right in the mix of the angry, hateful, spiteful, and mean spirited. I know my own struggle with fleshly responses. But praise the Lord, God has gifted me, and every believer, with the power of the Holy Spirit to call upon while living in this sin filled world. Do I have 100% success in always doing so? Sadly no, but God's grace allows me to correct my mistakes and move forward.

His grace.  His work.  The power of the Holy Spirit doing what I can't; what none of us can.

"For by grace you have been saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2:8&9

It's easy to get frustrated when things don't go as we think they should. It's true in our walk as Christians as well. How often have we tried within our own strength to "do what's right" only to fail miserably? Of course feeling like we've failed is never a good feeling. The tendency is to shift our focus off our own failures and begin to carefully inspect the lives of others. How quickly we are able to find fault, and ease our own disappointment in self, by pointing out the flaw in another.

But it doesn't satisfy, nor does it bring peace or joy.

So the cycle of frustration of trying hard, failing, looking for someone else to blame continues as it has from the beginning of creation.

Oh what a wretched, hopeless lot we are.  We know we're failures, but don't want to be, and yet rage against the very One Who can grant us victory.

Yet He continues to call us to the victory that we cannot obtain in our own strength. "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." ~Jesus speaking in Matthew 11:28-30

And isn't that what we are truly striving towards, a place where we can rest?

As I was preparing to write this, there were several thoughts for the title; Living hopeful in a hopeless world, and the one I've chosen were the top contenders. The whole purpose of writing this is to encourage and exhort those who know Jesus as Lord and Savior, and perhaps, just maybe, help someone who doesn't know Him personally to desire a personal relationship with Him.

Because knowing Him personally is the only way to know true joy, peace and to have hope in this angry world.

This world is a temporary dwelling place. Living here joyfully is a choice, but it takes allowing God to do His work through us, depending fully on Christ's finished work, and the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.

Then, and only then, will we have the victory that we strive towards and the rest we desire.

May God receive all the glory.
                                                        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you..." 
1 Peter 3:15











No comments:

Post a Comment