Thursday, August 30, 2018

Defining rather than being defined.

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith in this grace in which we stand and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, be we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces; perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly." Romans 5:1-5

Life is a journey filled with sorrow and joy, chaos and peace, times that are difficult and times that are easy. Sometimes the road moves gently along shaded paths, where other times it climbs steeply or descends suddenly while the storm rages against us, or the heat threatens to parch our soul.
It is during the difficult patches where we experience the testing of our faith as God refines us more completely into His likeness. It is in these moments that it is most important to define our journey rather than being defined by it.

But what exactly does that mean?

It has been my experience that, too often, when difficulty would hinder my walk, that I would begin to feel stuck as I allowed my circumstances to define me rather than defining my circumstances. Instead of viewing the difficulty as a tool God was using to grow me in His grace and the knowledge of His faithfulness, I would fuss and fume about the situation.

It didn't make things any better.  In fact, the more I complained to Him (and occasionally others) about how frustrated I was because things weren't going according to my plan, the more miserable I became. Blessedly, there came the "Aha" moment when I recognized I had wandered down the path of discontentment and mistrust.  Instead of relaxing in God's plan for my life and allowing Him  
complete control, I realized I had been wrestling with Him over the details.

The more I wrestled, the more weary I became.

But God in His compassion as a loving Father graciously swept me up into His embrace and gently reminded me that He saw the whole, while I only see in part. He told me, again, that He will never leave or forsake me, and that nothing comes into my life without His knowledge or permission. No matter how difficult a situation may appear, He is still in control and I can trust Him completely.

And suddenly like the child that is comforted by the one they love, I found myself seeking His face again and finding grace and love shining from His eyes. There is nothing I can do to earn His love, and nothing that will make Him quit loving me.  I am much more than a sinner saved by grace. Although I may still experience trials and temptations along the way, I am His beloved child and He is leading me home, one step at a time. He will faithfully walk with me the entire way and I can experience His peace and presence throughout the journey.

May you find same true for your journey as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is perfected in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9




No comments:

Post a Comment