Tuesday, January 9, 2018

What's that smell?


"Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in ever place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are perishing. To the one we are the aroma of death to death, and to the other the aroma of life to life. And who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, as so many, peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of in Christ." 2 Corinthians 2:14-17

"For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. Be we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us."
 2 Corinthians 4:5-7

A sweet memory crossed my mind this morning while chatting with a friend on social media.  She was telling me about the cabin she had inherited from her parent's estate and had posted a picture of the outhouse among other pictures. I immediately thought of the cabin my family owned when I was a child and the outhouse there.  Although the memory of the cabin was sweet and even funny as the outhouse had space for two, the memory of the noxious smell wasn't pleasant. I learned to hold my breath for a long time in those days.

It's interesting how smell is such a powerful sense which can cause either a positive or negative response.

Some of my favorite scents create strong emotions.  I love the smell of rain, the ocean, pine trees, fresh baked bread, meat grilling on the BBQ, lavender and peppermint essential oils, and the list goes on. These scents make me smile even thinking of them

The memory of the outhouse however does not make me smile.  It stunk, as do many things that cause us to recoil even at the thought of them. I won't post them here, but I'm sure each of you immediately thought of the smell of things that were unpleasant and even may have made you feel nauseous.

I was recently given a necklace that holds essential oil.  I love being able to smell the peppermint throughout the day, and enjoy the reaction of others who are in near proximity to me.  They often smile and remark at how they enjoy the scent of peppermint as well.  Things that smell good draw people while things that smell bad, repulse and push away.

So it is with our walk with Christ. The sweet fragrance of Christ draws those who recognize it, or are longing to remove themselves from the stench of sin and death.

The question arises; are we being a vessel that allows the sweet fragrance of His mercy and grace to be shared?

As we step into yet another year I encourage all to take a moment to reflect on the message you want  presented to your sphere of influence. Do you want those around you to be drawn to the Savior? Is the message in your every day walk one that draws or repels?

Breathe deeply of the love which God richly pours out and allow the peace that you feel be motivation for sharing it with others.  May the response be one of delight and desire that draws all into a deeper relationship with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment