Saturday, January 27, 2018

The legacy we leave


"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
Jesus as recorded in John 14:27

I'm feeling a bit melancholy today as I try to write, and I'm trying to put my finger on the source. It's not the weather. Here in the canyon the sky is a gorgeous blue, and there are hints of spring already beginning to show. I don't think it's lack of sleep, or health, as I've gotten plenty of rest and finally beat the bug that was threatening to knock me down. Having had more time at home recently, I don't think it's caused by the greater organization I'm managing to bring to our home either.  I have been sorting through mementos from my brother's estate though, and just realized this is the anniversary of the day when my Daddy went home to the Lord. All of this has caused me to deeply miss those who have finished their race. It has also made me take a closer look at the things I still want to purge from our home to lighten the load on our children when my husband and I cross the finish line. Even though the subject isn't pleasant or comfortable, it is one that I've begun discussing with the kids and the older grandchildren. 
There is a deep desire to instill confidence that the separation is temporary and to ease their minds and sorrows when the time comes.
It makes me think of the sermons over the last few weeks at church where our pastor has been discussing Jesus's final days with His disciples. He was telling them of His deep love for them, and how would send a Comforter to be with them.(see John 13-17 for greater insight)
Going through things from my brother's estate and looking at mementos left from other family members has brought a ton of memories, but the comfort comes from knowing I will see them again when I cross the finish line. I want to be certain my children and grandchildren know that death is imminent for all of us, but that we can rejoice knowing we will be reunited on the other side.
I want the message that I leave behind to bear testimony of God's deep abiding love and the access He has provided for all who are willing to accept the gift He offers through a relationship with Jesus Christ.
I want the sorrow of those I love to be temporary, and their joy to be in the confidence of reunion on the peaceful shores of eternity.
There will be plenty of "stuff" for them to sort through and share, but giving them hope is the best legacy I can leave.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? hall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written: "For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter."  Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angles nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35-39

No comments:

Post a Comment