Sunday, November 29, 2015

                Beauty in the midst of the storm


"On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, "let us cross over to the thee side." now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was.  And other little boats were also with Him.  And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was asleep on a pillow.  And the woke Him and said to Him, " Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?"
Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still," And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.  But He said to them, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?" And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?""  Mark 4:35-39

One of my favorite classic hymns is titled Peace Be Still by Rev. James Cleveland. It is one my mother, sister and I used to sing in three part harmony. My sister sang soprano, Mom sang tenor and I filled in the middle alto part. Many a sweet memory was formed as we blended our voices to this wonderful song. But there was more than just a time of singing that came forth from those times. To this day I can recall every word:
"Master the tempest is raging,
The billows are raging high
The sky is o'er shadowed with blackness 
no shelter or help is nigh.

Carest Thou not if we perish? 
How canst Thou lie asleep
When each moment so madly is threatening
A grave in the angry deep?

The winds and the waves shall obey my will,
Peace be still
Whether the wrath of a storm-tossed sea
Or demons or men or whatever it be
No water can swallow the ship where lies

The Master of oceans and earth and skies
They all shall sweetly obey My will
Peace be still, peace be still
They all shall sweetly obey my will
Peace, peace be still.."

Now there are more words to the song and a tune that rings in my heart every time I hear the verse from Mark, but more than anything is the blessed reminder of My Lord's presence and peace in the midst of life's storms.  You see, I recall singing this the most with my mom and sister at the height of the Vietnam War where young men 18 and older were being drafted into military service. In addition to the concern that my brother just older than me might be drafted, my oldest brother who lived over 1,000 miles away was watching leukemia leach the life out of my eight year old nephew.
Times weren't exactly storm free.

And yet, we sang and found comfort in the words of Jesus as He reminded us He is in control over all things.

Life is filled with storms. Winds rage and the waves often seem as though they will overpower us as we struggle to stay afloat.  Too often, like the disciples, we forget who is with us in the midst of the storm. If we cry out in panic or in great faith, His response is the same "Peac, be still!" 

We don't need to worry or fret, He is still God, creator of all thing and in control of every situation.  He never looks down and says "Oops!" He will never leave or forsake us. (See Deuteronomy31:6 and Hebrews 13:5) even in the fiercest storm we need to remember, He is always with us.

Truly, there is beauty to be found even in the midst of the storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment