Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Shine on


"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16 NKJV

My husband and I were in Carmel for a mini get away and he was taking a short walk on the beach while I sat and painted. I had tucked myself into a sandy bank out of the breeze, and had settled in with my brushes and paints. The painting I was working on was in its very primitive state, when I noticed a woman watching me intently. She smiled when I looked up and I nodded before returning to the project before me.  She approached timidly and inquired about the painting.
She was curious as to the medium I was using, and I explained it was cake tempera, and I was experimenting with its use. Sensing this was an opportunity set before me by God, I added a few more brush strokes and then engaged her in conversation.
As often happens when I talk with people, her story spilled out like a rush of water. At 63, divorced with grown children, she was floundering a bit in the sea of uncertainty as to what life held for her. She had been drawn to talk to me, because she had painted with oils in the past, but had set it aside as she raised her children and worked full time to support them and herself. I asked her a few questions and encouraged her to consider picking up painting again, Smiling, but with sad eyes and a far away look, she said she had missed doing so, and was hoping to have opportunity to do so again.  Because oils require more time, she was uncertain if she would though. I told her I understood, and that is why I preferred cake tempera and water color.  When I said they are a bit more forgiving, she laughed and her eyes sparkled with life. Seizing the moment I dove in head first and asked a few more pointed questions about her life, and found her to be quite gracious and charming, in spite of some painful events. Although she'd been able to forgive her ex-husband, she was struggling with forgiving herself and felt unworthy of God's love for the mistakes she'd made. Asking her if she had a Bible, I reminded her that God loved her deeply and urged her to read Psalm 139 for a week.
During our conversation I saw Dale on the perimeter, but wise man that he is, he sensed this was an appointment from God, and communicated with his eyes that he'd circle back around. Grateful for my understanding husband, I looked for the place to bring closure. Having seen me smile and nod at my him, she thanked me for spending time talking with her and said she would carefully consider the things I had told her.  I asked if I could pray with her before she left and she gladly accepted, squeezing my hands as I prayed.  Hugging me as she left, I noticed there were tears in her eyes, but also a look of hope.
There are no words to adequately express my joy of being able to bring encouragement to her.
It is always amazing to me how God will use us if we are willing vessels.  I could easily have ignored the moment put before me, sighting a million and sixteen reasons why not to be engaged in conversation. But oh what I would have missed had I done so.
Don't draw back from the chance to share light and hope with people you encounter. The talent you have may be the very one God uses to draw them closer to Him.
May He be glorified in all we say and do.


No comments:

Post a Comment