Monday, January 21, 2019

Check point....what does your speech say about your relationship with God?


"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men-extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast saying, 'God be merciful to me a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather that the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be abased, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." ~Jesus Speaking in Luke 18:10-14

I take the responsibility of sharing the word of God very seriously. Whenever I am prompted to share, I must quickly examine my heart and my motive for doing so. I want to be certain to be diligent to present myself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (see 2 Timothy 2:15 italics added for emphasis)

Words are powerful.
They have the ability to lift up or tear down. They can encourage or destroy. In the end we will all be held accountable for every word we spoke or wrote. ("But I say to you, that every idle word that men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words your will be condemned." Jesus I Matthew 12:36,37)

It's a daunting thought.

Recently there has been much misinformation shared on news media and social networks over current events. I sigh even as I write these words.  It breaks my heart.
Much too quickly sides are drawn and the barrage of verbal assaults begins, being bandied back and forth between opposing sides.  I recognize my own error in wanting to react in a knee jerk onslaught of words, and have had to check my spirit, and even erase thoughts before posting them.  We all have opinions on things, and it seems lately, we have little or no filter in sharing them.

Psalms 143 verses 3 and 4 have become a daily prayer. "Set a guard, O LORD over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing to practice wicked works with men who work iniquity; and do not let me eat of their delicacies."

It is much too easy to react without thinking, especially when something strikes close to our beliefs and comfort zone. The need to defend ourselves and others is natural and strong, but how we go about it is paramount. The ability to quickly share our thoughts through social media only increases our responsibility of the words we use.

Colossians 4:6 says " Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer one another." In Ephesians 4:29 we are reminded "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." (Italics added for emphasis)

God be merciful to me a sinner!

It is far easier to try picking the splinter out of another's eye rather than working on the beam in our own, because it is painful to address the things in our lives that need God's help in fixing.

But that is what He wants us to do. "But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another." (Galatians 6:4) The Greek word "examine" is "dokimazo" which means to test/prove, to discern.  In James 1:5 we are told "If anyone lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

God is right there ready and willing to work with us in every aspect of our lives. The focus of our attention shouldn't be on what He is doing in another's life (see John 21:20-22 for deeper insight), but in how we are responding to His call to follow Him.

And it means not only in our actions, but our words as well.

I pray that each one of us will examine our hearts before Him seeking ways to improve our own walk in words and actions, and in doing so, many will be drawn to Him.

May He receive glory in all we say and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment