Thursday, March 15, 2018

Look and listen carefully


"And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but he LORD was not in the fire, and after the fire a still small voice." 1 Kings 19:11,12

Today was one of those days where I needed extra focus to keep my footing.  It seems of late, that not only is my physical balance a bit off, but I am more acutely aware of all the negative things in life. There seems to be a constant barrage of distracting sights and sounds.

It wearies my soul.

The noise in life had become increasingly loud, and sadly I had momentarily allowed my focus to shift off my Savior's face and onto the wind and the waves.

As I struggled to rise above the tide of discouragement that assaulted me from every angle, I fought valiantly to hear the peaceful chords of encouragement from the LORD.  The more diligently I sought refuge at His feet, the clearer the message became.

"Be still.  You can rest in me." (Psalm 46:10 and Matthew 11:28)

Immediately peace began pouring through my soul. I was finally able to take my eyes off the storm and refocus my attention on the Lord.

It takes deliberate action to stay focused on what is true when adversity swirls around us.  The enemy of our souls uses every tactic to distract us from the peace the Lord continually offers. But the Lord delights in those who seek Him.


"Seek the LORD while He may be found.  Call upon Him while He is near." Isaiah 55: 6
"Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." Mark 6:31

And so, once again I have found refuge in my Savior's embrace as He reminds me there is NOTHING outside of His control.  Even the fiercest storm is calmed at His command.

My prayer is that each of you will find solace in the knowledge of how deeply God loves you. May you continually find the strength and courage to carry on in the mission field of life to which you've been assigned by Him. When the winds of adversity howl and swirl around you, press into His embrace and listen carefully.  He has promised He will never leave or forsake His beloved children.

Above all else, rest in confidence that this life is but a vapor and eternal joy and peace await for all of us who truly seek Him. To Him be the glory and honor forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment