Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Emmanuel~ God with us

As I sit here watching the storm roll in and the Christmas lights twinkling brightly against the gathering night, the Amy Grant song Emmanuel runs through my head. Wonderful, counselor, mighty God, holy One...
The words bring comfort to my spirit.
The last few weeks have been difficult with the passing of my oldest brother, and the memorial service put off until Januray. There has been a large hole in my heart since hearing of his passing and the delayed services have made it difficult to bring a sense of closure. In addition to not being able to grieve with my siblings who all live out of state, December also marks  the month we lost mom ten years ago. It is bitter sweet. Christmas was her favorite holiday.
I find I struggled to find the energy to decorate this year. Grief threatened to rob me of the joy of the season.
And yet as I pressed forward I found the simple act of putting up the tree and decorating the house began to chase the gloom away from my heart. Much like the lights twinkling on the front porch push away the gloominess of the impending storm.

Just like Jesus brought light into a world darkened by sin.

As I look at the house being transformed into a festive celebration of Christ's birth the joy of the season begins to penetrate my heart.
God has promised in His word to never leave or forsake us. This is great news that brings immense comfort and peace. Not only will He be forever with us, but  the light of His grace and truth will ever guide us in His love.
It is news worth embracing and sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment