It was a heart shaped biscuit that was my undoing today. I had been fighting a "mood" that I didn't like and had been praying all morning. It had started out a bit rough as today would have been my mom's 99th birthday, and I miss being able to call her and wish her a happy birthday. In addition to the emotional pain of her absence, there was the physical pain I was feeling. Arthritis has begun to affect my body and stiff joints make movement difficult. I wasn't wanting the negativity that was threatening my spirit to win, so I had been earnestly praying for relief. I had found some in the brief rain shower that knocked down the dust and made the air smell fresh and sweet, but the disquiet persisted. In an effort not to let it spill over, I decided to make biscuits, not only for my husband who loves them, but in remembrance of Mom who had taught me.
Now usually the ones I make turn out nearly as good as hers. But today for some reason, (maybe the oven not being hot enough at first, maybe the weather, maybe my foul mood), they turned out poorly. They were stiff and hard on the outside, but still soft and tender on the inside...rather like how I was feeling. Needless to say, the way they turned out didn't improve my mood. Not only was I disappointed in them, but it made me miss my mom all the more. I felt the emotional tension and was fighting back tears.
And then I turned over the biscuit that burst the dam. It looked like a beautiful heart, and I felt as though God had just hugged me and told me He had heard my prayers. As tears of gratitude washed over me and fell from my eyes, I could feel the tension drain from my soul. The heart shaped biscuit looked like Mom was sending me a message as well, reminding me that it doesn't matter how the biscuits turn out, but rather the love with which they're made.
Years ago I read an anonymous story called the Burnt Biscuits. In the story the writer recalled how his mother had served burned biscuits for dinner, and how his father taught him grace by graciously eating them without complaint. It is similar to the gracious way my husband ate the ones I made today, and listened to me as I poured out my heart to him over the things I was feeling.
All that because of a heart shaped biscuit that reminded me that I serve a very intimate God who leans in and hugs us when we need it most.
The evidence of His grace and love is continually being revealed. All we need to do is to be still long enough in His presence to receive it.
May you feel His peace in a very real way today and rejoice in His love.

No comments:
Post a Comment