Tuesday, June 22, 2021

An imperishable inheritance


"Grace to you and peace be multiplied. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while if need be, you have been grieved by various trials that the genuineness of your faith , being much more precious than gold that perishes though it I tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, an glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love.  Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith - the salvation of your souls."1 Peter 1:1-9

As I was looking through my journal of the events of the past year, I came to the page where I had written out the verse written above. It has been quite a journey over the past two years, but with all that transpired in 2020 I really needed to write out verses on a regular basis. Writing them in longhand has often proving to be an incredibly helpful tool for me as I really concentrate on the words as I write them out.  It also leaves a written record of God's word for any who may read the journals in the future.  Today it made me sigh with a deep longing for heaven.

It's not that I am wanting to rush God's timing on my life, He has defined the number of my days. But rather it is a heartfelt desire to finish the race well. I am closer today than ever before.  We all are.  Time keeps ticking away. There's nothing like attending funerals to make one look at the quantity and quality of their lives, and we've been to two in the past few weeks and have another to attend.  Those whose funerals we attended have finished their race. In some ways it makes me a bit envious. Oh to hear the words "Well done My good and faithful servant; you were faithful... enter into the joy of your lord."

Now I realize Jesus was talking about the importance of being faithful stewards of the talents (tasks) we've each been given in the account found in Matthew 25.  It's the words "enter into the joy of you lord" that I want to focus on.

The invitation to enter in, and the joy it brings the one making the invitation.

Jesus has been preparing a place for each one of us who faithfully serve Him and He's going to come back to get us to take us there.. (See John 14:2,3)

If you've ever worked to make something special for someone and finally have the opportunity to give it to them, then you have a glimpse of how much joy Jesus must feel each time He gets to reveal that which He's prepared. It makes me smile just thinking about it as I've had the small pleasure of revealing special gifts to those I love.  Oh the joy it brings to see their reaction.  How much greater the joy Jesus must experience, as His life's work was to bring people home to His Father's house.

I don't know about you, but I am excited about the future of eternity. If you're not, you might need to check the reason why, and maybe make some adjustments.

May God guide you in all your decisions and may He receive all the glory.



And it's incorruptible, undefiled and will not fade away, unlike the things we work to make here.

No comments:

Post a Comment