Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Changing seasons with an unchanging God

"Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you. I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10
As I sat here this morning watching the scene before me change from sunshine to heavy fog, and then to watery sunlight, I couldn't help but marvel over God's great love and how intimately involved He is in our lives. The first time I ever really paid attention to the verse above was when I was working as a telephone operator just the year after I graduated from high school.  Although I thought I knew everything there was to know about life when I graduated, I quickly realized the world was much bigger, and more difficult than I had imagined. That particular day on the switchboard hadn't been especially wonderful, and I was contemplating what my future held. When the light lit up on the switchboard panel before me, I had no clue how the next few moments would profoundly affect my life.
The voice of the young man on the other end of the line was not interested in placing a call, but was adamant that I understood how much God loved me, and made me promise I would read Isaiah 41:10 when I got home. Amused but a bit curious by the call, I made certain to keep my promise.
The knowledge of God's deep love became profoundly clear as I read the passage.
"Fear not, for I am with you." It's as though God was speaking directly to my worries and concerns about moving out of my parents home and into the vast unknown. "Be not dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you." The confirmation for strength that I knew I didn't have. Leaving the security of the known could only come with the  assurance that I was not alone.
"I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."  There He was, telling me I didn't need to worry or fear, He had heard my unspoken prayers.
I cannot tell you the number of times this verse has brought me comfort and peace through the seasons of life.
And so as we head into another Christmas that has come and gone much too quickly, and a new year looming on the near horizon, I encourage you to remember. Remember the numerous joys of past Christmases. Remember the love of family. Remember the blessings God has poured out lavishly upon you and those you love.
Remember that He is the same, yesterday, today and forever and He has promised to never leave or forsake His children.
May you find His presence palatable this Christmas season and may you walk peaceably with Him throughout the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment