Thursday, November 16, 2017

When God says "Wait!"


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, 
and lean not on your own understanding"
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5&6

"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31


We've all had dreams and ideas over which we've prayed and sought God's answers.  We love it when He says "Yes" to what we're asking, and even though we don't like being told "No" it's a definitive answer.

But what about the times when He tells us "Wait"?

To say that I am not struggling with this answer to one of my long held dreams wouldn't be true.  The reality that something I have been praying about for many years, (and now having seen it twice nearly become a reality) only to be told once again to wait, has left me confused and a bit frustrated. I have earnestly sought to follow God's lead each step of the way, and have offered numerous times to lay it down and walk away if it isn't something He'd have me pursue. Yet each time I have done so, He has opened pathways before me and I followed them....to here.

And now, once again, I am being told to wait.

Even writing these words makes me sigh. I'm deeply disappointed, but desperately want God's will above my own, so I wait.

Waiting is hard, especially when it's something we deeply desire.  There's always the possibility that God's answer of "wait" will turn into "no". It requires deep trust that He is always faithful no matter what His answer is to our prayers.

When I was 17 my eight year old nephew was dying of cancer.  I begged God not to take this sweet child from us, but He said no. Fast forward twelve years later, and I was begging Him for the life of my own son who was gravely ill with kidney disease, the doctors having warned us that he wouldn't live past the age of eight. Why God chose to take my brother's child home to heaven, and allowed my child to live is one that will be answered when I finish my journey here on earth and stand before Him. He has answered many prayers over the years "yes", "no" and "wait". Each step of the way I have seen His love demonstrated, even when I didn't understand His answer.

So it is, although I am a bit confused and frustrated by the current "wait" sign flashing before me on this journey to the next phase in my life, I can wait patiently. I know God's plans are always good, and far superior to anything I can even hope for or think. If He says to wait, I'll wait. If He says to move, I'll move. While I'm waiting on the next step to be revealed I will ask Him in what other ways He would like me to serve Him.  Waiting in a different sense of the word.

For I know in whom I believe. I am confident He is faithful to complete the work that He's begun. My job is to stay on the path He places before me and simply say "Thy will be done." Because His ways are always the best.

May He be glorified in all I say and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment